FRIENDS OF SENIORS OF DUTCHESS COUNTY CORP.
WELCOME TO FRIENDS OF SENIORS! We are proudly in our 15th year of assisting the Dutchess County older adult community with basic support services. On Monday, June 10, we are holding our second annual Golf Tournamet "DRIVING FOR SENIORS!" at McCann Memorial Golf Course 155 Wilbur Blvd. Poughkeepsie, NY 12601. COME JOIN US! You might be the lucky winner to have the opportunity of getting a hole-in-one shot for ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Everyone has an opportunity for a Hole-in-One shot for $25,000!! Cost is $135/player. See flyer on right for more info!
CALL US AT 845-485-1277; FAX IS 845-471-1740; CANCELLATION NUMBER IS 845-240-0241.
We provide services to all of Dutchess County with the exception of the towns of Amenia, Northeast and Pine Plains. Please call 518-789-4259 for service in those areas. However, if you need a ride TO Amenia, Northeast and Pine Plains, i.e., the VA Clinic in Pine Plains, we will do our best to get you to your appointment in those towns.
1. We provide transportation for seniors to non-emergency medical appointments including doctor visits, labs, physical therapy, dental appointments, dialysis and surgical procedures. If a volunteer is available, we can start driving at 5:00 a.m. and drive until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. We do drive on some Saturdays and Sundays, if a volunteer is available. We travel to appointments within Dutchess County, and if we are able, we will take you to medical appointments in Albany, New York City, Connecticut, and to Columbia, Orange, Putnam, Ulster and Westchester counties, although some criteria needs to be met. Call the office for more information. Due to the increased demands for transportation, we require at least two weeks' notice to reserve a ride. For rides out-of-town, we need a month's notice. Please do not hesitate to call Friends of Seniors if you have an appointment "tomorrow." We will do the best we can to accommodate you, but our office is closed on the weekends. The ideal situation is that you call Friends of Seniors as soon as you make your appointment, even if it is a year in advance.
2. We provide assistance with grocery shopping, either for or with a senior depending on the individual's need and preference. We shop for or with those individuals who have no family in the area, and no other means to obtain groceries.
3. We provide visiting services.
4. We provide telephone reassurance on an as needed basis.
5. We provide respite for primary caregivers.
6. If Friends of Seniors cannot help an individual, we will do our best to find an agency or organization that has the resources to meet the requested service.
Friends of Seniors is NOT an emergency service. If you are in need of immediate assistance and/or do have an emergency, please call 9-1-1.
We do not accept MD's requests to drive their patients to the Emergency Room.
We sometimes need to work with the families in regard transportation needs.
There is no fee for most of the services provided, although many of our clients prefer to donate $5 to $10 each time the client is served.
We do not drive in inclement weather. It is up the volunteer and the senior, but the rule of thumb is if the schools are closed, so are we.
We are sorry...Friends of Seniors cannot transport people who are on oxygen. That said, call us anyway and we will refer you to an organization or an agency that can assist you.
Through a grant provided to us from the Margaret J. Campbell and Dorothy P. Campbell Fund of the Community Foundations of Dutchess County, we do assist people who need rides to dialysis.
Volunteers cannot provide hands on care, such as personal grooming, transferring to bed to chair, etc. We are not qualified and therefore cannot administer medication. We do not provide housekeeping services nor do we do outside chores - no snow shoveling, no mowing the lawn, etc. We can give you information about where those type services are provided.
Medicaid recipients have free non-emergency medical transportation provided to them through Medicaid; therefore we do not transport people who have Medicaid. If you are on Medicaid, call your case worker to inquire about obtaining a voucher for non-emergency medical transportation. Call 866-244-8995 for transportation. If necessary, we do provide shopping services, visiting, respite for primary caregivers and telephone reassurance for Medicaid recipients.
VOLUNTEERS ARE THE BOSS!:
Volunteers are reimbursed for their mileage at .30/mile.
Volunteer work is flexible and up to the volunteer. Because of the nature of today's busy world, people who want to volunteer cannot always work within volunteer organizations' time frames. Friends of Seniors believes THE VOLUNTEER IS THE BOSS!
Your volunteer work is based on your availability. When FoS calls you to assist a senior, if you're available, then arrangements will be made. Perhaps you have time only to take someone to their medical appointment, but no time to take that person back home. Friends of Seniors will make arrangements with another volunteer to take the senior back home. While you're out taking care of your own errands, you can pick up a senior, take him/her to the medical appointment and continue on with your day. Or while you're grocery shopping for your own family, you can shop for someone who might not be able to get out to shop for himself or herself. Or you can drop off the client at his/her appointment, run your own errands and then go back to pick up the client to take him/her home.
All volunteers have excess coverage of up to $1,000,000 when, and only when, the client is in your car. In the unfortunate event that a volunteer is involved in an automobile accident with a client while doing Friends of Seniors volunteer work, the volunteer must go through his/her insurance first. If the costs are above the volunteer's own insurance, Friends of Seniors' insurance picks up the costs from there. This is standard with all volunteer organizations. However, if a volunteer is in a car accident, while doing Friends of Seniors volunteer work, Friends of Seniors will pay half your car insurance deductible if the following criteria has been met: the volunteer has taken the NY State Driver's Course within three years of the date of the accident, and that we have a copy of the certificate on file, as well as a copy of your current driver's license, and current vehicle registration and insurance card.
Friends of Seniors is partially funded by the Dutchess County Office for the Aging and Dutchess County Department of Planning.
Mileage reimbursement to the volunteers for non-emergency medical transportation is provided by a grant from the Dyson Foundation.
Mileage reimbursement to the volunteers for dialysis transportataion is provided by the Margaret J. Campbell and Dorothy P. Campbell Fund of the Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley.
Friends of Seniors thanks all who are assisting us to carry out our mission.
A special thank you to our clients who make generous donations to our program.
And a very special thank you to the wonderful volunteers without whom this program would not exist.
We also hold several fundraisers throughout the year.
SHOP ALL YEAR-ROUND AT SMILE.AMAZON.COM
9 Vassar St., #24
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601-3022
CANCELLATION #: 845-240-0241